Friday 29 February 2008

Stalking the Angel by Robert Crais

This is the second entry in the Elvis
Cole Los Angeles Private Investigator series. I guess this should be
more appropriately referred to as the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series. I
read an interview by the author in which he stated that he didn't
suggest reading the books in order, as the recent books are much more
indicative of his style and the characters. In spite of that, I have
elected to read the books in order, and I am glad that I have. This
novel dwelves even further into the odd relationship between Pike and
Cole. Pike is at ease killing bad guys, or making Cole breakfast.


The mystery here, or case, involves the Japanese mafia, and one
very dysfunctional family that hires Cole to locate a missing Japanese
treasure. The story was enjoyable and the characters are outstanding.
The wise-cracking Cole had me laughing at several times as I read.
While Pike in all his stoic glory is a delight. This book really focues
on the true ambiguity that sometimes exists between right and wrong and
the good guys and the bad guys.

I also feel that the series is developing along the lines of the inspector Montalbano books in that there is more and more detail when describing food and how Elvis enjoys them.

No comments: