Monday 18 June 2007

A geography of time : the temporal misadventures of a social psychologist by Robert Levine

A reccomendation from someone who certified me in a particular method(ology), Scrum, and he suggested a number of books. This was one of them, but it had very little to offer in terms of the original subject, but made for some very interesting reading nontheless.

In terms of a rating I would gie the book a 4 for readability and a 3 for content.

I liked his reasoning for why inner city kids from unemployed families do particularly bad in school and also a quote in the book that "to westerners the opposite of talking is not listening, it is waiting" for their turn to talk and express their view.

It also offered a very interesting explanation as to why Japanese have a habitof falling asleep in meetings. Something I had found strange and rude, but his explanation made me revise that opinion, and hopefully went a little way in helping me to not criticise what I do not understand in other cultures.

No comments: